Development and operation of waste depots for the disposal of waste (otherwise known as landfill facilities) in South Australia are activities of environmental significance and must be carried out in accordance with the Environment Protection Act 1993 (the Act).
The guideline, Environmental management of landfill facilities – solid waste disposal, published in April 2019 replaces the Guideline for environmental management of landfill facilities (municipal solid waste and commercial and industrial waste). The guideline was updated following consultation with the industry and stakeholders. Read the summary of submissions received.
This guideline sets out the EPA's expectation of landfill operators, developers, planning authorities and regulatory bodies on the site selection, development, design, construction, operation, closure and post closure management of landfill facilities.
Relationship to environment protection policies
Clause 12 and schedule 4 of the Environment Protection (Waste to Resources) Policy 2010, ban certain materials from disposal at landfills.These restrictions and the circumstances under which prohibited wastes may be disposed to landfill are further explained in the Guidelines on handling wastes banned from landfills.
Clause 9 of the Environment Protection (Water Quality) Policy 2015, sets out the provisions a person must take into consideration to meet the general environmental duty in relation to waters, including mandatory provisions to prevent harm (including potential harm). In relation to landfill facilities, the revised guideline includes mandatory minimum requirements for the design and construction of landfill facilities. These mandatory provisions are based on the classification of the facility and are captured in Appendices 2–6.
- Current criteria for the classification of waste – including industrial and commercial waste (listed) and waste soil
- Waste definitions
- Wastewater lagoon construction
- Guideline for stockpile management
- Regulatory monitoring and testing – groundwater sampling
- Landfill gas and development near landfills advice for planning authorities and developers
- Waste management, regulatory framework and objectives
- Waste and the South Australian planning system
- Industry code of practice for the management of clinical and related wastes
- Guideline for liquid waste classification test
- Derivation of disposal criteria