Medical & allied health professionals
Medical and allied health professionals must hold a licence from the EPA if they wish to operate ionising radiation apparatus.
To obtain a licence, you are normally required to:
- hold a recognised qualification and be registered with your appropriate registration board,
- pass an examination administered by the EPA on radiation safety,
- have passed a course which has been approved by the EPA for the purposes of issuing a licence.
This licence sets out specific requirements as outlined in the legislation for professionals when operating this equipment. These are based around the National Directory for Radiation Protection, which includes the requirements of the relevant codes and standards.
- Licence application to operate an ionising radiation apparatus
- Licence application to use or handle a radioactive substance
- Notification by owner of sale/disposal of an x-ray apparatus
- Notification of sale, installation or relocation of an X-ray unit
- Personal radiation monitoring devices
Licence-holders are responsible for making sure their contact and employment details are kept up to date. Renewal notices are sent out to licence-holders prior to the expiry date.
If you have any questions, please contact the Radiation Licensing Officer on (08) 8463 7826.