Applications for new environmental authorisations (licences, works approvals and exemptions) are available for feedback.
New applications that relate to your suburb or town are open for public feedback for 14 days from date of publication.
The EPA will provide all public submissions to the applicant – with personal details removed – and require that the applicant responds about any issues raised. The EPA then considers both the submissions and the response in any decisions about granting an environmental authorisation.
Frequently asked questions
When is an application for a new environmental authorisation required?
Individuals or businesses who wish to undertake an activity of environmental significance will need to apply for an environmental authorisation in the form of a licence, works approval and/or exemption.
What is involved in the application process?
The following stages are required for an individual or business to apply for an environmental authorisation (licence, works approval, exemption):
- Development approval: If development consent is required, the EPA cannot issue a licence until consent is obtained. It is in the applicant's interest to determine what is required under the relevant planning provisions before making an application for a licence.
- Application for authorisation: An application form is required to be completed by the applicant and submitted to the EPA.
- Public is notified: A public notice must be published in a newspaper circulating generally in the state (and if deemed appropriate, the local newspaper), and the EPA will write to adjacent land owner/occupiers within 60 metres of the facility about the application and the type of activity that is being proposed. Members of the public will be given a minimum period of at least 14 days to submitte comments.
- Authorisation conditions established: The EPA will determine the appropriate conditions of licence, exemption or works approval after considering written public submissions and responses from the applicant.
- Authorisation is determined: The EPA will grant approval for the environmental authorisation and send an invoice for the annual fee which must be paid in full before the environmental authorisation will be issued.
How can I comment on an authorisation application?
Applications are open for 14 days for public submissions. You can view details relating to each application and lodge your submission by clicking on the online comment box. Once you have submitted your comment a copy of your submission will be sent to your email address for your record.
How long do I have to make a comment online?
Applications will be open for public comments for a period of not less than 14 days. The last day to make comments will be displayed next to each application. Submissions from interested parties related to the application can be submitted until close of business on the last day. This closing date will be different for each application.
Can I include a document or map with my online comment?
If you have an attachment that you would like to include with your online comment you can email to or post it to Licensing and Regulatory Services EPA, GPO Box 2607, Adelaide SA 5001 and include your name and the application number that the attachment(s) relates to. The attachment(s) will be included with your online comments and provided to the applicant.
Where can I find out more about the authorisation application process?
Information about the life cycle of an authorisation in the form of a licence, exemption or works spproval can be found in the licensing section of the website.
How regularly will the new application index on the website be updated?
The index will be updated daily as new environmental authorisation applications are received by the EPA.
Why can't I find a business/company on the index?
The index only contains applications that have been received after May 2012.
If an authorisation has already been issued you can search for a copy.
The application index does not include applications for the renewal of existing environmental authorisations or new waste transporter applications.
How do I find out if an authorisation (licence, works approval, exemption) has been issued?
Once an authorisation is issued the status for each application listed on the index will be changed to ‘Authorisation Updated’. You can use the environmental authorisation number in the ‘View Record’ screen to view the current record.
How do I contact the EPA if I have questions about the environmental authorisations or want access to more information?
For more information about a new authorisation application, contact 8204 2004 or 1800 623 445 (country callers only) during business hours, or email